Welcome to the Visa Section
The Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in Canberra issues visas to individuals residing in, and applying from Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. Due to regulatory constraints, we can only issue single entry visas valid for a one-month stay. Those wishing to stay longer in Afghanistan can apply to the Consular Section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul for an extension of their visa.
Applications for visas can be made by post or in person. Applications will be processed in order of their receipt by the Consular Section. Applications that are incomplete or missing necessary documentation will not be processed.
Checklist of requirements
All applicants, whether applying by post or in person, must submit the following items as part of their application package:
All foreign nationals can obtain an Afghan visa, except in the following cases:
*Afghans and persons of Afghan origin who hold foreign passports can apply for a Travel Permit Letter to visit Afghanistan - a Visa is not required.
*Issuance of Visa for Travel Document holders are currently suspended.
VISA PROCESSING FEE:
A non-refundable fee is payable upon submission of the application. All fees must be paid by Money Order payable to “Embassy of Afghanistan”. However, Applicants from Newzealand and Fiji can provide Bank Cheque for their visa fees
NOTE: Urgent visa applications require double the regular issuance fees.
1. All NATO contractors will be required to pay an additional $300 AUD, one time fee for a one year multiple-entry visa.
2. Media personnel/journalists are required to provide an introduction letter stating the purpose, duration and places intended to visit in Afghanistan. (Media journalists must contact Press Office of the Directorate of Media Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, located at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Char-rah e Malik Asghar, Shah Mahmood Ghazi Wat, Kabul Afghanistan.)
To download registration form or obtain more information about the Directorate of Media Relations in Afghanistan, follow this link: www.mfa.gov.af/en
3. For official visits, please contact your employer to send a letter of introduction with the details of the purpose of your visit to Afghanistan to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan in Kabul, who will then send us an authorisation for issuance of visa.
4. If visiting family or friends please write a letter of introduction stating whom you intend to visit in Afghanistan.
5. If tourism is the purpose of your visit please state in detail the nature of your tour and places you intend to travel in Afghanistan.
6. If employment is the purpose of your visit, an official letter of introduction from your employer, sponsoring government or organisation stating the purpose and duration of your trip is required
7. Applicants applying for a work visa should be below the age of retirement (65) and must provide their educational documents along with the visa application, invitation or introduction letter from the employing company in Afghanistan.
All consular charges are only payable in Australian Dollars (AUD). Payment in any other currency will not be accepted.
Consular fees can be paid by Money Order made payable to "The Embassy of Afghanistan, Canberra". A money order can be obtained at any Australia Post, by paying the required amount alongside any applicable fee. New Zealand and Fiji applicants can provide a Bank Cheque for their application fees.
All payments must cover the total amount that is payable to the Embassy, including the relevant fee, bank charge and any postal cost, if applicable. The payment must be received by the Embassy together with your application form.
Payments in cash, personal cheques or bank transfers are not accepted under any circumstances.
Applying by post
All postal applications must be sent by registered mail to the following address:
Embassy of Afghanistan, Canberra
PO Box 155
Deakin West ACT 2600
The Embassy will not take any responsibility for loss of documents which are not sent by registered mail.
Applicants in Australia may enclose a registered, self-addressed return envelope for the return of their documents. Due to incompatibility of cross country postal systems, applicants from New Zealand and Fiji cannot send a return envelope and are therefore, required to organise a courier for the collection of their documents.
Applying in person
Applicants may apply in person by visiting the Consular Visa Section of the Embassy during the section’s official opening hours, which are as follows:
Monday to Friday from 9:30 am to 3:00 pm. The Consular Visa Section is closed outside these hours as well as on Saturdays and Sundays.
After the completed application is received at the Consular Section, the applicants will be asked to return on a specified day and time to pick up their visas endorsed on their passport(s). Those applying in person can request for their passports to be returned to them by post, in which case the applicants will be required to present a registered, self-addressed return envelope.
After the Embassy has received completed application(s) with all the necessary documents and payments, visa will be issued within ten to fifteen working days.
Applicants applying by post, must take into consideration that it takes several working days for their registered documents to reach us and for them to receive back from us. Therefore, applicants are requested to avoid making any travel arrangements before obtaining their visas. The Embassy will not accept any responsibility for delay in obtaining your visas or changes in your travel plans.
Return of original documents
All original documents submitted as part of visa application will be returned to the applicant after the due process.
Ready to apply?
If you have read the information given above and are ready to apply, please download a visa application.
Have any questions or need more information?
For further information, or if you want to discuss your application, please contact the Consular Section during its opening hours (Monday to Friday from 10 am to 1:00pm).
Telephone: +61 (2) 6282 7377
PO Box 155
Deakin West ACT 2600